Saturday, July 19, 2008

L-eighties


Keeping the old school hip hop/electro/LA pioneer dj thing going, below is another gem and rarity I'm sure very few folks have. Another perc from owning and working at a record store is having og b-boys come up in the spot and relive their childhood. My mind is blank right now trying to think of his name, but an older, white, born and raised in LA (living in sac now) dedicated b-boy (adidas head to toe) would stop by Twelves, the store I owned and would dig through the crates searching for all things pre-1990. He genuinely had no interest in recent hip hop. He didn't hate on it, he just loved his 80's hip hop.He often had stories of hip hop, mostly of LA. To make a long story short, I ended up telling him I was a mixtape fiend. His eyes lit up as he was too. Thing was, he had hundreds of tapes from the 80's. To my surprise, he was thrilled to share his collection with me as he was in the process of digitalizing his collection.

Below is an original KDAY recording of Joe Cooley on the Mack-Attack Mixmaster show. If only the radio sounded like this, these days.

Joe Cooley live on KDAY 1580 8/25/1986

No comments: